By: Cara Chang, Writing Instructor at Leeward CC. Video produced by: Michele Mahi, Speech Instructor at Leeward CC. Special thanks to Michele’s COM 210H students for sharing their views on OER.
Students from Speech Instructor, Michele Mahi’s COM 210H class, candidly share why they appreciate using Open Educational Resources (OERs) in her class. In sum, students appreciate Michele’s incorporation of OER materials in the course because:
- The text is available 24-7, so there is no excuse as to why students can’t do their homework.
- It is free, which means students can focus on paying for their classes and not the added cost of textbooks.
- The textbook is tailored to the course.
- It is relevant for the class and provides many different perspectives.
- It encourages the instructor to curate excellent materials for the content of the course, which means that he/she is involved and invested in the making of the course.
- It is more fun than reading a textbook.
- It is convenient and easily accessible.
- It is easy to share information with others.
- It is reflective of the “real world” which requires the use of technology.
- It is environmentally friendly.
- It is exciting and encourages learning!
View the video to see Michele’s students’ testimonies of why they like and how they have benefited from using OER in their COM 210H class.